Name: Johannes Zillinger
Winery: Bioweingut Zillinger
Town/Country: Weinviertel, Austria
Johannes inspecting his concrete amphorae
- Which spot in your vineyard is the most special and why?
Definitely our Kellerberg vineyard. There, mainly the old vine Grüner Veltliner and Sauvignon Blanc are growing on lime-sandstone, but also several different herbs are flourishing. The Sauvignon Blanc grapes are used for one of our newest creations Numen Fumé Blanc. Another reason why I prefer this vineyard the most is because of the delicious herbal flavors one can taste in the air.
- If you link the dots in your life, which experience was the most crucial relating to how you make your wine today?
I would say the wonderful trip to Georgia, in the Middle East, before I ordered the amphora the first time.
Johannes Sr started organic farming more than 30 years ago
- What kind of music do you enjoy listening to when making wine in your cellar?
Of course only classical hard rock or punk rock.
Today Zillinger is certified by Demeter (biodynamic)
- Name a regional dish from your area, which matches best with one of your wines.
I am living close to the border of Slovakia. The river that is forming the border is called March and is full of carp fish. These carp are prepared with lots of sweet pepper and garlic and are fried in the pan. And to accompany this delicious fish dish I would recommend our Grüner Veltliner Reflexion Kellerberg.
- Name a restaurant from your recent travels around the world, which changed the way you thought about food and why?
I am a really good-natured person, who loves to eat great food. Therefore, I know all the good restaurants around my place. And my favorite one is called, “3er Wirt”, which is around the corner. It is a cozy place that has its own lake with fishes and moreover they also cook their own game meat.
Velue symbol the butterfly
- If your wine would die, who or what would it come back as (person/animal)?
I am a hundred percent sure, that my wine would become a magnificent butterfly.